Saturday, January 29, 2011

3 R's and some G love

"We've got to learn to
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
 . . .Because three it's a magic number
Yes it is, it's a magic number
3, 3, 3
3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36
33, 30, 27, 24, 21, 18, 15, 12, 9, 6, and
3"
-- Jack Johnson

One of my very favorite 3 R's projects in the whole wide world is making seed starting trays.  It saves me so much money! 


In August, I began starting to save our cardboard toilet paper rolls -- I really wasn't sure what for; neither was the hubby.  It didn't make him very happy.  I've been known to do dumb things; junking up our small kitchen with toilet paper rolls in every nook and cranny had all of the makings of "a dumb thing that is borderline gross that my wife is doing," at least in his mind.

But now I can gloat a little.  I stumbled across a website that explained how to turn those rolls into biodegradable seed pots; just like the peat pots I was itching to buy. 
I cut them in half; folded them and creased them, cut one inch slits on the four sides that were made by the creases, tucked the sides down, and voila!  Pots.  Then I filled them with potting soil.  I sterilized an organic baby spinach box that was housing our kitchen compost on the back deck, placed my pots in the box, tucked my blue fescue into little divots in the soil, and put the lid on top, and now have a free -- mini-greenhouse.  As easy as 1-2-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3.  Now, all I have to do is be patient and wait for my blue fescue grass to germinate, which for me is magic!

2 comments:

  1. I've done the same thing Sarah! Those plastic trays are great for seed starting. I've done he toilet paper roll thing too but found that they fell over too much but they do work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to crease them a lot and then really work the bottom to make it flat, but they are working nicely. I have Irish Moss in some and now the Blue Fescue -- we'll see. Good luck on your onions!

    ReplyDelete