Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chandelier Lupines


Oh, the crystal chandeliers light up the paintings on your wall
The marble statuettes are standing stately in the hall
But will the timely crowd that has you laughing  loud
Help you dry your tears
When the new wears off of your crystal chandeliers?
"Crystal Chandeliers," Charely Pride

Crystal chandeliers definitely have nothing on chandelier lupines.  They are so beautiful, and they bring me a lot more comfort than the crystal ones in Charley Pride's song.  I had my first experience with "chipping" seeds this week while starting them.  I have no idea if I chipped them correctly (which is becoming a common thread among all my posts "I have no idea" that is), but my seed packet instructed me to use fingernail clippers to chip them, so I did.  Then I placed them in their little tp pots and put them in a plastic cake carrying case to germinate them.


I bought the case over three years ago for my son's birthday cakes, which I made for his first birthday party and had to transport.  At the time, I had visions of being a Paula Dean kind of mom -- I've used the carrying case once.  A gardener I am; a mother I am; a recycling reusing chick I am, but a birthday cake baking, decorating, and toting Mom, I really am not.  Like Shakespeare said (in the voice of Polonius), "To thine own self be true."  The chandeliers have given me a good reason to actually use a misguided impulse buy.   And if anyone has tips on how to "chip" seeds, please share!  I still have many of the seeds and do not want to destroy them.

Head to Dave's Seed Sowing Saturday for some great tips: 
http://www.growingthehomegarden.com/2011/01/seed-sowing-saturday.html

2 comments:

  1. I've not done much chipping of seeds but I've heard the nail clippers work well. I have some seeds for baptisia that need chipped but I haven't done it yet! That cake case looks perfect for those seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know if it worked! :)

    ReplyDelete