Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lupines and Asclepias Incarnata

I have six milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) plants in the greenhouse.  I am greedy.  I want more, more, more.  So I was more methodical, and it is paying off.  I first put the Asclepias seeds in the freezer for about a week.  Then, I placed them in the refrigerator for another week.   Finally, I started them in jiffy trays.  Within three days they started germinating.  This is definitely the way to go in the future! 

The Chandelier Lupines gave me a fit at first too.  I chipped them and started them indoors under lights, and I had terrible results.  Only two seeds germinated and when I moved them to the greenhouse they turned to mush.   So I listened to fellow blogger, Alison http://bonneylassie.blogspot.com/, and I direct sowed them outside in the garden.  Sometimes less is more.  The less I did with these the more they grew.  Thanks, Alison!  I never would have tried that without your helpful tip!

Milkweed (Ascelpia incarnata)

Chandelier Lupines

For great tips from some wonderful gardeners head to Dave's for seed sowing Saturday

2 comments:

  1. You can never have enough milkweed! Those monarchs sure love it. We have butterfly weed and it generally self sows itself very easily. I bought the first two plants then just let them go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know, Dave. I look forward to ours filling out the garden :)

    ReplyDelete