Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hooray for Hoary

Verbena Hoary Vervain (Verbena stricta) that is.

This is basically a note to self, but please do read if you like.  I went to Earth Fare today to purchase my son's organic food -- I love that store.  I go once a month because it is quite a drive.  I really wish I could frequent it more often, but it's probably best that I can't.  They have little shopping carts that are made for kids.  My son shopped like an adult and was in heaven!  I found a display of native seeds that I drooled over like a kid in a candy shop; I was in heaven.  I showed adult-like restraint, however, (because my husband was with us), and I only bought two packs of seeds Little Bluestem and Rocky Mountain Blue Columbine.

But, I looked up the website on the packet when I got home
http://botanicalinterests.com/products/view/1815/Verbena-Hoary-Vervain-Seed/category:flowers/filter:15

And I found that Verbena Hoary Vervain is not only a gorgeous native that is absolutely perfect for my dry bed stream, it also attracts good bugs, or rather beneficial insects.  And deer typically don't eat it.  Yes, I am going to order some!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Botanical Interests is an excellent seed supplier. Make sure when you sow the seeds, that you open the seed packet up all the way to check out the inside, because they print info about the plant on the inside of the packet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alison. That is good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only two packets? ;) You did good then! It's hard to pass by seed packets without getting several. I have some little bluestem in my garden passed on to me from another gardener. It really needs to spread more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have pics on your blog of yours? I'd really like to see exactly what they're going to look like so I'll know where to put them.

    ReplyDelete