Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Junk

What ya gon' do with all that junk
All that junk inside your trunk?
-- Black Eyed Peas

Okay, so that's a terrible, uninspiring song.  Really, truly, it is.  It has no place in a proper gardening blog!  Fortunately, this isn't a very proper blog; for thing one (it's Dr. Seuss's birthday), I daily find typos, spelling errors, and omissions.  And daily I fix them.  For thing two, I really have no idea what I am doing in many areas of gardening.  And in gardening as in writing, it's the mistakes and corrections that keep us learning.

Mistakes, junk, trunks, and what to do.

I bought some juncus hedgehog seeds over a month ago.  I love this grass.  It's a native (or so one website explained), and it's very unique.  It has straight, green blades that are topped with small, blackberry like balls.  Plus, the name makes me giggle.  I think the whole juncus family may have been an inspiration to Dr. Seuss.  (This information in no way has ever been verified with any source -- I call it, *gasp*  an uninformed opinion). 

A piece of of information that I really would like a legitimate source for is how to start juncus hedgehog.  I had no instructions with my seeds, so I had to wing it, which tends to mean ruining a packet of seeds more often than not.  I placed the very miniscule seeds in peat pots last week, and I put them in a Ziploc bag on a heat mat.  There they have sat for a week.  I keep peeking at them, but nothing is going on.  Nothing.  If something doesn't happen soon, I may break down and purchase some plants.  I really want the dry stream bed garden to be plants that I've started from seed.  But I want this plant in there even more.  There may end up being some juncus in my trunkus . . . we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. "juncus in my trunkus" LOL! I've learned that some seeds take longer than a week, no matter what the seed packet says. There have been a few times when I've given up and planted something else in the pot, only to have the original thing germinate! That's how I got a pepper plant in the zinnias one year.

    I don't know anything about grasses, but I'd probably give it another week before giving up. My parsley is just now germinating, and it's been two weeks since I started it. Some things just take longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Shannon! I will give them another week. I am just so impatient when it comes to germination. I don't know why . . . it's not like I can plant them yet. I am finding that gardening is as much about learning patience as it is about learning plants.

    ReplyDelete